Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Week Three "Thing 7"

It was a tough decision as to what to post for the broad category of "anything tech." Dozens of ideas were swirling through my head! However, just this morning, one of my Twitter contacts sent this link, and it's the obvious choice to discuss.

I had no idea that The Library of Congress had it's own Flickr site (and/or a blog). The Library of Congress blog posted links to it's Flickr site last week where over 3,000 photos are easily accessible. This is a pilot program with two main goals: "If all goes according to plan, the project will help address at least two major challenges: how to ensure better and better access to our collections, and how to ensure that we have the best possible information about those collections for the benefit of researchers and posterity. In many senses, we are looking to enhance our metadata (one of those Web 2.0 buzzwords that 90 percent of our readers could probably explain better than me)."

Wow!! This is what libraries should be (I think). The library is requesting comments and hoping additional resources are shared. The photos are ones that do not have copyright concerns and it only takes five minutes to browse and learn about 10 new things. The photo I decided to add is the opening day of the New York City Public Library (sometime between 1910-1915). Definitely cool!

So, LOC gone 2.0. It's a good thing PA is right behind them!

1 comment:

Dennis Grice said...

I was going to blog about this last night too. Then I saw your post - so I'll just add my comments here. I must have spend over an hour last night just looking through the pictures. The color images from the 30's and 40's are amazing! I also like all the information included with each photo. It makes the collection more searchable. I was pretty easy to find any pictures that mentioned "California" for example. I'm sure it will get even better as people add tags and comments. I hope they'll keep adding more collections.