Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Did You Know?

Yesterday marked the first day of in-service to kick-off the 2007-2008 school year. Besides the pointed crayons and the smell of new nylon backpacks, I just love the feeling of starting over in August. This year, with a new superintendent, a new principal, a bounty of new teachers, and a new vision for my job as a librarian, I am optimistic that my students will be better people in June because of the village it will take to "raise them."


As an introduction to the year, I thought it was worthwhile to highlight the "Did You Know" video that is blasting through the educational airwaves. They are reminders about our students--these digital natives--and how they are intuitive to technologies.


My favorites: Did you know:

-Over 70% of 4-year olds know how to use a computer

-Jobs that students are majoring in now did not exist when they were in high school


"We are currently preparing our students for jobs that don't exist yet in order to solve problems we don't know are problems."


No comments: